Friday, January 21, 2011

in which the mister forgets his pants.

I know the title of this post brings much to the imagination.

BD is idiosyncratic. I didn't really expect this from him when we first met, but as we grew closer, I learned that he has little things in his life that he's relatively [read: extremely] particular about.

In addition to O.J. Simpson, MTV, steroid use in professional sports, news channels, graham cracker placement in an eclair recipe, wearing socks in other people's houses, aversions to potluck public meals and all things lemon-flavored, BD is VERY particular about one thing: Thursday night basketball.

What do you mean by "particular," you ask? Well, let's start by the 24-hour buffer that he places on either side of this weekly event. If I have anything that requires his attention, say fatherhood, I have to preface my discussion by gently explaining that this will not interfere with his Thursday night activities. We have friends who gave birth to a precious baby girl on a Sunday morning, came home from the hospital on a Wednesday, and BD actually sent a text to see if this new father would be playing basketball on Thursday of that same week. Luckily for Batman, he was born in the off season. Just barely.

Meal planning on or around a Thursday is particularly difficult as BD has a list of things that we will not consume prior to his 8:30 PM court debut. Alcohol? FORGET IT! A heavy pasta dish? Absolutely not! Anything with dairy? You MUST be kidding me! He starts to get pretty anxious if he hasn't eaten by 6:30 so that he will have enough time to digest his meal. I think if I wasn't such a stickler for good grocery deals, he would probably have some elaborate protein bar/shake plan to consume before and after the blessed event.

So, you can imagine my surprise the first time the mister called me in a panic to tell me he forgot his basketball pants.

I was incredulous. First of all, I made sure he wasn't standing in the parking lot of the basketball court in his underwear. Fortunately, this was not the case. In packing his basketball garb and putting this on after work, he did not process that he forgot shorts. Instead, when he went to disrobe his basketball sweat suit, he realize he didn't have any shorts on. In a panic, rather than leaving the scene of the crime to locate some shorts, he called a friend to bring him shorts when he arrived to basketball. Oh yeah, I should mention that BD makes it a point to arrive at basketball at least 20 minutes early to do some sort of pre-game meditation. I should also take the time to mention that Thursday night basketball consists of 1.5 hours of basketball in a church gym with old[er] men. BD is the youngest by several years.

As we sift through the winter months, you may wonder if BD misses basketball due to inclement weather. Well friends, this is not the case. BD will leave extra early to arrive on time. And by extra early I mean he will leave from work, rather than being hassled by coming home first. The man is dedicated. To me, his level of dedication should cause him to preemptively prepare for any roadblocks that may prevent him from reaching his weekly version of the holy grail. Not so, yet again! BD has managed to forget his basketball shorts at least two more times this season, and we're halfway through. Luckily, he has been able to obtain a pair of shorts before the game started.

However.

I will not be surprised to learn that BD has levels of dedication that I have never even imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment