In the true spirit of the passing holiday season, I have decided to make this post about the holidays. Now, before you get too excited, please know that this is my holiday-on-a-soap-box-post. Due to the jollyness of the season [and let's face it, with a new baby, there's A LOT of jolly], I don't have a proper avenue to complain about things that annoy me. So lately, I've had some time to think. Or, more specifically, I've had time to think quietly to myself. I'm a ruminator.
As a result, I often wake up with the world on my mind. Or questions that I need BD to answer for me. It is through these random questions that I am learning to pick my battles with my husband. Or with any other human, for that matter.
However, if I were to choose to engage in such a battle or conversation, I have a list of things I would like to talk about.
To begin with, let's talk about the Pina Colada song. I am a fan of a good oldies station. The particular oldies station that I listen to likes to play this song frequently. When I heard this song for the first fifty times, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's catchy and it makes me turn up the volume, every time. But, then I started paying attention to the lyrics. In case you haven't noticed, 'ol Rupert Holmes is blatantly singing about cheating on his lady. What makes matters worse is that she obviously contemplated the same thing! So, Rupert, as catchy as your little diddy is, I must say that I am very distressed at the state of your marriage. I believe there is a vast difference between being tired of your lady and penning a top 40 hit* about it.
Even if Rupert and his lady reconnect at the end of the song, they both were going to cheat on the other one. So, liking pina coladas and getting caught in the rain aside, I'd say they would benefit from some communication counseling.
Along a similar vein [side note, one of my favorite prepositional phrases to use], due to the jollyness of my holiday paired with my preference for oldies radio, I have been listening to a lot of holiday music. AND IN CASE YOU WERE CONCERNED, there is a holiday version of the pina colada song. The basic gist involves a pair of exes running into one another at the grocery store on Christmas Eve, sharing a six pack in a car, and then venturing back home to their holiday celebrations. This song perplexes me. First of all, I am not even sure that it qualifies as a holiday song because the listener [aka, yours truly] is left wondering [1] if the couple in the car will get caught and charged with open container [2] if the lady's architect husband is at all concerned that she hasn't returned home from her grocery errand and [3] if it is snowing, should they really be lollygagging with alcoholic beverages in a car? I consider myself a relatively liberal person, but songs like these actually concern me. And, truth be told, I'm not quiet about being so perplexed, but as I expressed earlier, I have learned to carefully consider what I want to talk to BD about.
That brings me to my next battle [as you can see, I'm using the term "battle" very loosely, as a more apt description would be "pointless-conundrums-that-keep-me-up-at-night" but that isn't as catchy.] Previous posts attest to the fact that my husband is a man of few words. I have tried, through many different avenues, to make him wordier, but to no avail.
Interestingly, I find myself learning more about BD through conversations he has with other people. At first, I took offense at this. After all, I am his wife. We should talk. Frequently. Until we're blue in the face and have no other words to speak/emotions to share, right? Apparently, BD feels otherwise. Case in point, very recently, BD called me with the results of a doctor's visit about his shoulder. Now, just to be clear, he was at the visit and I was not. With that being said, I needed every. single. detail. from the visit. My questions were quick and succinct: what did the doctor say? will you need surgery? can you still play basketball? what about work? You would think that my questions were actually re-injuring his shoulder. He acted as if it pained him to answer them. "I'm fine. No. Yes. Duh!" Let it be known that BD posted a status to Facebook within minutes of our conversation with more detail than I could have ever asked for.
Based on the [lack of] details of the shoulder conversation, I let the entire subject rest, until we were at dinner last week when BD announced he would be having surgery on his shoulder. Not to me, of course, but to other people that we were dining with. Um. Excuse me?! Here I am, constantly thinking quietly to myself about things that concern me [Ibetyouhavethepinacoladasongstuckinyourheadnow], but out of loving respect for my husband, I keep them to myself. Obviously, if I was having surgery, I would want my other half to know. In fact, it is my great fascination with detail that narrated my entire pregnancy with Batman. BD knew Batman's every move, and my own personal commentary on the said move, along with my other thoughts, opinions, and research on what the experts have to say about such movement. BD and I have different approaches. He responded to my slight [read: ridiculously overblown] freak out at the surgery announcement by stating that he would obviously be waiting until Batman was older and could move about on his own. Helllooooo, I can't read between the lines of your nonexistent conversations. Perhaps I should have consulted Facebook.
And for future reference, I should probably consult Facebook or listen more closely as BD informs our next door neighbors [Pat of course] about a power tool or lawn tool that he will be purchasing to make some job possible to do.
*In case you were wondering, I have opinions on other top 40 hits as well: Two Chicago songs, the song about Brandy being a fine girl but not marryable, and a Blessed Union of Souls song. Feel free to ask for details! I'll be sure to explain myself fully!
Holy crap my shoulder is sore today. Did I play basketball last night or did Batman's mom pull my arm out, beat me with it and carefully place it back in while I slept?
ReplyDeleteLets ask about another oldie that could be on one's mind from none other than the Monkey's. They took a last train to somewhere.....Clarksville.......Boston.....oh well.
Off to Facebook so I can talk to my wife. Have a great day everyone. :)
My dear, dear child. I KNOW that there are many times that BD wishes that the apple fell far from the tree, albeit a tree from the same orchard, because, let's face it, the gene pool is pretty rockin' as evident in BM.
ReplyDeleteIf you're not into yoga....
ReplyDelete(the next line is most concerning to me)