I mean, hellloooo, I know the key to work success. My pens have traveled with me from school to work, to work in another state, back to school again, and to a new job. At a school. Of course it's confusing. While this blog may act as a spotty diary of my life as a wife and new mom, I feel confident that I can provide advice in other areas, as well. After all, my Master's is in Counseling. For example, I consider myself well-versed in cleaning products, piddling, arguing, organizing, all things candy corn, and procrastination. To this repoitore, I will add starting a new job.Doubtful of my qualifications for such advice? See my handy list below, try it out, and get back to me.
[1]. Have pens, will travel. This goes without saying. The key to successful employment is feeling the utmost confidence with your writing utensils. What about the age of technology, you ask? Isn't everything done on computers? Wellll, yes it is. Nonetheless, I encourage you to have blue and black ball point pens, blue and black gel pens, pens for loaning [you know, the pretty ones that you hope a germy guest will take and not return], pens for stashing, retractabe pens, pens with caps, pens for keeping, and pens to use in a whimsical fashion.* I should note that pens that appear to offer the convenience of being a pen AND a highlighter or a pen with more than one colors are what we call in the business "for rookies." There, I said it.
[2]. Wear deodorant. Duh. Don't be that guy.
[3]. Come prepared. This is a direct link to nos. 1 and 2; however, it needs to be fleshed out a bit. While preparation is the key to success, tread lightly friends. While I did bring my pens with me to my new job, I did not make it obvious. Instead, I have casually brought one or two items in each day. As a result, my new coworkers are constantly stopping and admiring what I've done with the place. A fresh coat of paint one day, an accent chair and light for another day. Next stop: exposing the brick on my outside wall. I know it's there.
[4]. Stay quiet. This is a particularly interesting one for me, especially coming from a job where I talked. Non-stop. In fact, I bet my former coworkers [hi guys!] have been really super productive since my departure. This rule is an important one for me. I'm still working on that piece. What I have learned is, it is in fact okay to work in silence and just because people walk past you while you are working [or looking like it], it does not mean that you smell bad or are on the brink of being fired.
[5]. Bring baby pictures. Of Batman! When in doubt, he's a great icebreaker. I am learning that it makes me seem less intimidating. Because apparently I am. Should any of my readership be starting a new employment venture, you are more than welcome to borrow pictures of my little one.
[6]. Channel your inner-Lyda. This is a shout out to my grandmother who has made it her life's ambition to see that I grow up a proper lady. Some of her suggestions include: don't slam doors, walk like a lady, for heaven's sakes don't discuss politics, avoid cake, cookies, and cohabitating with your man friend, and don't talk about wrestling being fake.**
*while your defininition of whimsical may differ in accordance with your profession, such uses may include: highlighting, color coding, emphatic underlining, issuing less-than-stellar news in a nice manner, etc. etc.
**Writing this makes me realize that Lyda needs her own space on my blog; however, should you have any current needs from Lyda that aren't actively addressed, she will be happy to put you on her prayer chain.
well, yes i have been uber productive (but still talk of course...) only bc i was learning your old job! i made sure i checked off everything on your list for starting a new job. i think i succeeded... although some of my new pens are your old ones. hmmm.
ReplyDeleteDear Lyda--I need to be on the prayer chain. Our very most valuable employee left and we're just not sure how to go on without her :-) Also, I just really want to join Lyda's prayer chain.
ReplyDeleteAlso, if those MSJ peeps don't get it, we'll just come take all their jobs and that will fix that. Because WE understand PENS. :-)