Thursday, October 27, 2011

a childhood memory

When I was looking at pictures from our trip to Michigan, I knew this picture was one that I would use somehow.
This picture represents a childhood memory to me for a couple of reasons: [1] I'm pretty sure we raised baby chicks in one of my elementary school classes [2] if it wasn't baby chicks, it was definitely egg babies.  I know for certain I was responsible for an egg for about a week.   Which I cracked and replaced with another egg.  I'm glad I didn't remember this when I was pregnant with Batman [3] my mom's hands. 

Memories of my mom's hands are weaved throughout my childhood.  Anytime I hear Janet Jackson, REO Speedwagon, Boston, or Journey, [or any other 80s or 90s big-haired hitmaker] I remember seeing her emphatically tapping her hands on the steering wheel.  My mom was a lab tech for many years, so she rarely wore rings and she never painted her nails.  Her hands were always dry from powdered gloves and alcohol preps.  Having "mom hands" is a term that my brother and I use when our hands are dry.  And it's a term we use with affection.  This picture makes my heart smile because it epitomizes a lot of the love that I have for her that I can't put into words.  I am so thankful to have those experienced hands caring for my little one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment